HIPAA imposes structural rules on the 837 standard expressed in Level 1
notes.  These customization are not expressed programmatically in SEF
format, so, certain code lists and situational requirements and restrictions
are out of the reach of tools that use .sef files.

For example, EDISIM released two versions of data models to help test the
two situations patient=subscriber and patient=dependant. However, these two
alone don't cover all of the issues caused by Level 1 sitiational rules.

Does anyone else see this as a problematic issue? I don't feel like I can do
a true world-class implementation without all possible permutations of valid
transactions to test against.

Why were the Level 1 notes used this way? Comments?

Anthony Beecher
EDI Consultant