There are no federal guidelines for EDI data retention in general. Data
retention policies should be based on your organization's record retention
policies for paper-based data. Just because the data may be in digital form
only doesn't affect the various record retention requirements, and these
could vary based on the type of records to be retained.

Just keep in mind that when keeping EDI-formatted data you'll also need to
keep the software that can process that data and render it human readable if
required.

Rachel Foerster
Principal
Rachel Foerster & Associates, Ltd.
Professionals in EDI & Electronic Commerce
39432 North Avenue
Beach Park, IL 60099
Phone: 847-872-8070
Fax: 847-872-6860
http:/www.rfa-edi.com

Hello all:

I was wondering what is the Federal guideline as to how long a business =
must keep electronic data.  I thought it was 5-10 years but I cannot find =
anything to support that statement.  Your help is appreciated.

Glenn K. Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior EDI Systems Analyst
Re:SOURCES EDI Department
248-458-8175

--=_BDE7A4B0.C1A0CDF9

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: =
2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D1>Hello all:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D1>I was wondering what is the Federal guideline as to =
how long a=20
business must keep electronic data.&nbsp; I thought it was 5-10 years but =
I=20
cannot find anything to support that statement.&nbsp; Your help is=20
appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Glenn K. Smith<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]";>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A><BR>Seni=
or EDI=20
Systems Analyst<BR>Re:SOURCES EDI Department<BR>248-458-8175</DIV></BODY></=
HTML>

--=_BDE7A4B0.C1A0CDF9--