From: Sanjeev Gupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote  Saturday, July 21, 2001
1:49 PM:

>Subject: Comparison Chart for EDI Translators?
>

>I was being told to put a comparison study using Gentran, Mercator, GXS,
Paperfree and Harbinger's EDI >translator . But my problem is that I have
experince only with Harbinger and GXS AI.

Here's something you can probably never say to whomever told you to do this, but
there is no way to 'compare' these products in a vacuum. I've used Gentran/MVS,
Gentran/400, Translator*MVS (Gentran's predecessor, really not too bad for that
era), TPPC/32, TSI Trading Partner/MVS, Harbinger TLW/Windows (and its
predecessor, STX/DOS) and Mercator (the mapper) as a translator; and I do
Mercator (mapper) work for an IPNET translation software user.

I can tell you each one of these products does 'something' (communications,
translation/edit, mapping, nice interface, API and EXITs during mapping, etc)
better than the others; but none does 'everything' better than the others.

Any 'comparison' you want to do needs to be based on YOUR needs. Check this
list's archives (url at the end of each message here) and you'll find several
references to product comparisons for various feature requirements.

FWIW, all the products I've mentioned using have decent translation software,
except TPPC/32 is a bit weak for the larger environment. TPPC/32 does not handle
errors well, and coding 'task lists' to handle that can be a really complex job,
and gets more complex as you add partner-documents (my favorite EDI unit of
measure is the 'partner-document'). Also, setting up new partners for TPPC/32
requires you have your install CD handy for each new partner-document.

Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems
Racine WI