From: Stephen O'Shaughnessy [ mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 1:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internet vs VAN vs capabilities and cost = Business Decision.

I'm afraid your use of hypothesis testing is flawed.  It is of crucial
importance which hypothesis is used as the null.  You can't just flip a
coin.  The null hypothesis looks to find just that ONE instance that
disproves your hypothesis.  The alternative is to find EVERY instance that
proves the hypothesis.  A formidable if not impossible task.

The alternative hypothesis will never actually be tested.  It is only
inferred based on the results of testing the null hypothesis.  If you find
the one instance, you disprove your hypothesis.  If you don't, well, it
proves nothing.

The case, as presented, is really two hypotheses: VAN's are less expensive
and Internet is less expensive.

For the current discussion we are wondering if moving to the internet is
less expensive than the status quo of using VAN's to transact business
documents.  The null hypothesis always states the opposite of what you are
trying to prove.  In this case internet is less expensive.  Again, this is
because it's easier to find one example that disproves the hypothesis than
the many required to prove the hypothesis.  In my opinion our test should
say:

(Ho: is the standard notation for a null hypothesis)
(H1: is the standard notation for the alternative hypothesis)

Ho:The use of VAN's is the least expensive method of transacting business
documents electronically.
H1: The use of VAN's is the same or more expensive than other methods of
transacting business documents electronically.

The independent (the one we can manipulate) variable is methods used to
transact business documents electronically.
The dependent variable (the one we would like to measure) is cost.
Unless you want to delve into multi-variate statistics, all other parameters
must remain the same (see below).

Now all we have to do is find one method that is less expensive than using a
VAN.  If we do we can reject the null hypothesis and accept the alternative.
Note: This does not prove the alternative, just that we couldn't find
statistical significance to reject it.

This may sound like a bunch of semantics to you but it is vitally important
if you don't want to be duped by statistics.  Statistics don't lie.  But our
ignorance, fueled by zealous sales people, can be used against us.  From
Michael's hypotheses it is very easy to prove both.  Most ISP are less
expensive than VAN's.  But given the right set of additional parameters and
the VAN's will come out ahead.  In short the original hypotheses are useless
unless you are trying to sell something to an unsuspecting buyer.

What's key to this discussion is whether or not all the other parameters are
the same.  I fear our hypotheses are too broad to be tested.  At least the
cost is not a simple access fee.  There are many other costs which must be
factored into the test.  Michael did a good job of showing us just how many
other parameters are involved.

As Michael noted, to make an informed decision an number of things, unique
to your business, must be looked at.  In general internet transactions are
less expensive.  They offer a wider variety of formats and options.  But,
unless you are in a position to take advantage of these other options, the
VAN will be the best deal.