>what's the big damn difference between AS2 connections between multiple
>trading partners and multiple dialup connections to multiple trading
>partners' modems?  
>It must be simply that with the Internet (said in a breathy sort of
expulsion)
>we now can do it so much more quickly.  And cheaply.

You got it. Is that not enough?

>If I had 65 AS2 connections I'd still be dialing.  (Well, not really
>but you get the idea.)  So tell me again what's so great about AS2?

I get the point, but if money isn't an issue, why not just have sterling run
the show completely?
Why are you employed there? You were just a middleman passing a message to
the people that actually
did the work.
Many companies like to have the ability to handle things themselves. 
Save money. Build employee experience. We have some employees that surpass
our software vendors 
knowledge of their own products.
I think the worst thing about AS2 is the fraud committed by the industry.
Here we have an open standard,
anyone can sit down and write an AS2 client after reading a few RFCs, but
here comes the Drummond Group
to take tens of thousands of dollars from us just to say "ok" you can use
what you built. That pushes 
everyone to buy a per trading partner AS2 client for thousands. Same
scenario with UCCnet. You could do it
yourself with a few months work, and have more control over the outcome- but
they have to "certify" that
your system will work for tens of thousands before you can use it. BS.

>And don't even get me started again on how wonderful (snort) XML is. 
>When Chris said "cluttering up the supply chain" he was right.  I
>still remain unconvinced;

What do you mean by wonderful? I hope you don't think positional format is
better than XML?
If you just saying EDI works and most businesses use it, and XML is not used
much so its
not worth as much right now- That makes plenty of sense...

>RFID?

Nothing tastes good when it's rammed down your throat. 




-----Original Message-----
From: rah1420 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 7:01 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [EDI-L] Re: Is EDI dead?




--- In [email protected], "William J. Kammerer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Is EDI dead?  Has all that could be said about e-business been said
> already? I dunno - I'm just asking. 'Cause first we had interminable
> discussion about suing somebody because they had the audacity to
archive
> messages from EDI-L. 

(sigh)

Bill, Bill...

The issue wasn't with the archiving of messages, though I think you
really knew that.  The issue was with the plaintext display of the
email addresses of the readership, which some people had a problem
with.  

Ah well.

> What about VAN consolidation?  Does anyone use EDINT with more than
> two trading partners? What about HIPAA?  What about RFID?  What's 
> going on with UBL?  Anyone? Anyone?  Class?  Anyone?

Well, we're actually doing AS2 with (drumroll) 6 trading partners.

#include STD_DISCLAIMER

I sort of agree with Chris Burns' observations.  My fear is that EDI
is going to become a lot more fragmented before it finally shakes
out. 

Here's a classic example.

Don't call me a Luddite, because I'm not; but for Pete's sake, what's
the big damn difference between AS2 connections between multiple
trading partners and multiple dialup connections to multiple trading
partners' modems?  Why are all the "EDI experts" making the welkin
ring and thumping the tub telling everyone how great it'll be when
we're all on AS2?  Hint:  It's not any easier to administer.  It must
be simply that with the Internet (said in a breathy sort of expulsion)
we now can do it so much more quickly.  And cheaply.  Except for my
time and the staff's time.  But that's okay, because we can just send
that work offshore.

Over the holiday break, I remind people, we had to suppress our
inbound 820s because we didn't want the 2005 cash being applied to the
2004 batch that ran over the holiday weekend.  (No catcalls, please; 
we still run the Big Iron here.)  Guess what? It took one call to
Sterling Commerce; "Please hold our 820s until Monday morning."  "No
problem, Rich, it'll be done."  Took care of -oh- 65 or so trading
partners with one phone call.

If I had 65 AS2 connections I'd still be dialing.  (Well, not really
but you get the idea.)  So tell me again what's so great about AS2? 
Please?  Is it the fact that I get to manage my own certs?  The fact
that I get to farkle with my own servers?  Or is it simply the fact
that I can now have multiple failure points instead of just one
contracted service provider that takes care of all my requirements?

And don't even get me started again on how wonderful (snort) XML is. 
When Chris said "cluttering up the supply chain" he was right.  I
still remain unconvinced; and I believe the vast majority of our
trading partners who still use EDI will back me up.  And some of them
probably spend some not inconsequential sums of money on their EDI
infrastructure, and definitely use EDI to spend some not
inconsequential sums of money on our products.

RFID?  Well, as long as I'm on a roll, I could talk about RFID.  Don't
know much about it.  Yes, it'll be a Big Thing.  My guess?  Wal*Mart
is desperate to get their arms around their burgeoning inventory
management costs, and they're big to boot.  They used their bigness to
wield a club. 

Unfortunately for them, the technology isn't mature enough.  As I read
on Slashdot recently, (observing that the accuracy is at about 60%,)
"It's hard to make the case that RFID will help track inventory when
you can't reliably find 40% of it."  

Oh, it'll get there, just like some form of Really Good Markup
Language will be distilled that will make all our EDI dreams come
true.  But in times like these, it's a lot cheaper -- and more
entertaining -- to be a "fast follower" than it is to be an early
adopter.





.  
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix:
<SALES>, <JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>
Access the list online at:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L
 
Yahoo! Groups Links



 




.  
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>
Access the list online at:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to