From: EDI-L@yahoogroups.com [mailto:EDI-L@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Travis Truax
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:48 AM
To: EDI-L@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [EDI-L] Liaison / Softshare Delta + SQL Stored Procedures

I'm in the middle of restructuring our entire EDI integration, moving from
Gentran to Delta, and I'm trying to decide on exactly how to piece it
together.
Gentran's support for db mapping was pretty poor, so many years ago I
designed our system generally in a "two-stage" mapping structure;
Where Gentran output to temp tables, and then a stored procedure would be
run to validate part codes & addresses, handle the data atomically with
transactions, etc. (Things Gentran couldn't do without custom COM
programming.) However, Gentran's db abilities were so poor, it couldn't
actually call the stored procedure to complete the second "stage" of
mapping, and actually import the data - so this was scheduled or called
manually, and error details were logged to the temp tables if encountered
during the second stage of processing.

Delta's db support is much more robust, given that it was actually not an
afterthought, but it apparently still doesn't have "great" support for
stored procedures. It appears that I can call one, but can pass no
parameters in or out, beyond the return value (integer) which Liaison
support "guesses" will throw an exception unless 0 is returned. I can write
maps to validate the parts & location codes now, but I still like the idea
of actually writing to the ERP within a procedure instead of directly from
Delta, so my question is, Has anyone done anything like this in Delta (or
maybe even a different package that could be similar), and would you mind
sharing what worked (or didn't work) for you? We do pay for support and I
*have* talked with them, but this is far beyond the scope of product
support. :)

I would really like some mechanism to get a detailed error message returned
from the SQL SP back into Delta to display & log to users so they don't have
to perform SQL queries to find what errors have occurred.

Thanks for reading,
Travis-

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional