On 08/18/15 22:04, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 18/08/2015 08:52, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
>>> Personally, I would not mind deprecating GCC44, but the biggest
>>> question I would have is what toolchains do the latest UDK releases
>>> claim to support.
>>>
>>> We also have the issue that every time I ask about deprecating a
>>> toolchain, Larry looks at me like I'm crazy. :)
>>
>> Well, perhaps he can chime in and explain his motivation behind this?
>> At some point, we need to start removing things, surely. Larry just
>> has a higher tolerance for pain :-)
>
> RHEL 6 is shipping GCC 4.4.  True, there are software collections to
> overcome that, but I think supporting GCC 4.4 is a good idea for at
> least a couple more years.
>
> Laszlo, do you still use RHEL 6?  Are you building with GCC 4.4?

My laptop dual-boots RHEL-6 and RHEL-7, but I only use RHEL-6 when I
need to work on RHEL-6 qemu-kvm or the RHEL-6 kernel. Which is nowadays
practically "never", thankfully.

In addition, I couldn't sensibly *test* OVMF on a RHEL-6 host, because
the RHEL-6 components lack support for the pflash-backed varstore.
Which, for me at least, makes *building* OVMF on RHEL-6 kinda moot too.

I have a number of Fedora virtual machines just for build-testing with
gcc-4.4..gcc-4.9, but they are the consequence of the edk2 compiler
support, not the reason for it. :)

So, I'm in favor of dropping gcc-4.4 support. (In Fedora release terms,
gcc-4.4 corresponds to fc13.)

Thanks!