On 09/09/2015 11:49 AM, Bill Paul wrote:
[...]
> Oh sure, no pressure.
>
> As you say, the closed source nature of most BIOSes makes complying
with these
> requirements nearly impossible for most organizations. The only
exceptions I
> can think of are big companies with connections to the IBVs (e.g. Intel,
> Microsoft) or the government/military. Something tells me none of them
will in
> any rush to talk to you though. :)

Thanks. I think the answer is: 147's "golden master" -- and any firmware
PKI trust validation with CRL/OSCP URLs (eg, UEFI Secure Boot)--- is
only achievable with full source coreboot and U-Boot, which has the
ability to locally build your firmware from full source (binary-only
libs don't count), and then use tools to update the system's firmware.
With UEFI, it is only achievable with fully-open source firmware, which
isn't an option for most most enterprises, or with most ISAs (eg, Intel
FSP blobs). ARM/AMD may be able to build with full-source firmware, maybe.

Maybe Intel will start licensing FSP sources to F500 sysadmins to aid in
defense?! :-)

I just spend an hour searching online for a single enterprise whitepaper
adopting UEFI and 147 lifecycle, and all I found was this 2013 article,
still mostly vague concepts:
http://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/basics/implementing-pc-hardware-configuration-bios-baseline-34370
If I missed anything else, please speak up.

Thanks.