On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 10:04:24AM +0000, Yehuda Yitschak wrote:
> > > but when I try to compile using the "build" command the build script
> > > uses the x86 compiler and naturally it fails
> >
> > Any particular reason why you skipped past the first half of the page to
> > follow the instructions under the headline "The Hard Way"?
>
> 2 reasons.  I am unable to clone the uefi-tools git using "git clone
> git://git.linaro.org/uefi/uefi-tools.git".  I get this output
>       Cloning into 'uefi-tools'...
>       fatal: unable to connect to git.linaro.org:
>       git.linaro.org[0: 54.247.55.40]: errno=Connection timed out
> maybe the GIT moved, or I have some permission issues ?

Hmm, was one of our git mirrors temporarily down?
I just tested cloning from that IP, and it  works from here now.

If you have some firewall issues, maybe you could try with the http
protocol instead:
git clone http://git.linaro.org/uefi/uefi-tools.git

> Second, I wanted to get a better understanding of the build process

Fair enough.
I just found that bit tedious enough to hide it behind scripts :)

But one thing uefi-build.sh does is print the exact build command line
before building each platform, so it could still be useful for this.

> > > I tried working around this by setting the environment variable
> > > GCC48_BIN however then the build system tries to call "make" from the
> > > path in GCC48_BIN which off course fails
> >
> > This doesn't make sense.
> >
> > Can you please provide some information on the actual steps you have
> > attempted, and the exact error output that yielded,  in order for us to be
> > able to help?
> >
> Following the "hard way" I perform these steps
>       - git clone http://git.linaro.org/uefi/linaro-edk2.git
>       - cd linaro-edk2
>       - git checkout master
>       - . edksetup.sh
>       - make -C BaseTools
> Up to this point everything is working fine
>
> When running
>       "build -a ARM -b DEBUG -t GCC48 -p
> ArmPlatformPkg/ArmVExpressPkg/ArmVExpress-CTA5s.dsc -D
> EDK2_ARMVE_STANDALONE=1"
> I get an error saying the dsc file doesn't exist.

Yeah, we've dropped that platform, so should probably not be using it
in our command line example... My bad, I'll update wiki.

> I'm also interested in aarch64 so I changed the command to:
>       " build -a AARCH64 -b DEBUG -t GCC48 -p
>       ArmPlatformPkg/ArmVExpressPkg/ArmVExpress-FVP-AArch64.dsc -D
>       EDK2_ARMVE_STANDALONE=1"

Yes, when cross compiling you do need to point out which toolchain to use.
In my case, for the GCC48 profile, since I have the toolchain on my
PATH, I would do this by prepending
GCC48_AARCH64_PREFIX=aarch64-linux-gnu-
to the command line.

If it's not on your PATH, specify the full path (e.g.
/usr/local/toolchains/linaro-aarch64/bin/aarch64-linux-gnu-).

> I don't have a aarch64 compiler installed properly using apt-get but
> I tried that before and that also didn't solve the problem

As long as you have an aarch64 toolchain installed somehow...

Regards,

Leif