On 2015-12-03 15:41:22, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 12/03/15 21:05, Jarlstrom, Laurie wrote:
> > To: EDK2 Community
> >
> > This message is to notify you that near the end of January 2016 the
> > active repository for EDK2 development will switch from using
> > SourceForge to GitHub. The repository found at SourceForge will
> > continue to be a read-only mirror of the master branch on GitHub.
> >
> > A number of reasons have prompted us to switch to git most notably
> > the communities request for us to make this change. Other reasons
> > include the ability to have better commit logs and the use of
> > branching to aid in reviewing larger changes and the addition of new
> > features.
> >
> > As part of this change a number of process changes will be adopted to
> > support better use of git. This includes the method for sending out
> > patches for review and other minor changes. Information regarding
> > these changes will be found on http://tianocore.org  in the following
> > weeks. In addition to the process changes documentation for users new
> > to git will also be provided.
> >
> > Please post any comments or questions related to this transition to
> > the Edk2-devel mailing list or reply to the email message
> >
> > Thanks, Tianocore.org Administration
>
> Great news!
>
> I'd like to ask for confirmation in two points:
>
> (1) that the git repo will remain a unified one (I think this has been
> made possible by the BaseTools support for external packages);

I can confirm that it will remain unified. In fact, I plan to delete
the separate package based repos on github soon.

> (2) that a purely email based setup will remain fully functional for
> participation (posting and reviewing), regardless of whether additional
> web based utilities will be developed.

I agree with this. I have also expressed that I would like email based
code reviewed to remain fully supported.

I think some people want to investigate gerrit at some point, and I
don't know how that would be implemented. I hope it would not mean
that patches will be posted in gerrit, and no notice will appear on
the email list.

I strongly doubt that gerrit will be set up at the initial git
cut-over point, so at least initially email patches will be the only
option.

-Jordan