From: edk2-devel [mailto:edk2-devel-boun...@lists.01.org] On Behalf Of Kinney,
Michael D
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:21 AM
To: Tim Lewis; edk2-devel@lists.01.org; Kinney, Michael D
Subject: Re: [edk2] PCD Local Token Numbers in PEI/DXE

Tim,

All good ideas to evaluate.

We did design in the Dynamic PCDs with generated local tokens to minimize the
size overhead of the PCD database for source builds.  We can do some size
impact analysis of these ideas to see which one makes the most sense.

The database is currently optimized for Dynamic PCDs.  When a DynamicEx PCD is
used it is internally translated to a Dynamic request.  I think all of the
ideas here require this concept to be reversed.  We need to optimized the
database for DynamicEx and never reference Dynamic part of database to process
a DynamicEx request.  If Dynamic is used, it can either be internally
translated to a DynamicEx request with a fixed token space guid or be processed
as a local token.  In mixed Dynamic/DynamicEx environments, the same PCD may be
accessed using both methods.  Current design supports this mixed env, so we
need to make sure that aspect is not broken if we change internal code/database.

Best regards,

Mike