On 03/10/16 11:58, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-03-10 at 11:33 +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>>
>>> * Considering tying the Bugzilla login to GitHub using GitHub as the
>>> provider.  This would mean that anyone wishing to submit an item into
>>> BZ would require a GitHub account.
>>
>> I vote against this. I find 3rd party authentication providers insecure.
>
> I concur.
>
> The end goal should be a coherent bug tracking system where a user can
> file a bug, and it can be reassigned to TianoCore or to a specific
> vendor's "value subtract",

I think a cross-vendor tracker is too steep. Usually vendors (including
Red Hat) have their own public trackers already. For example, in Red Hat
Bugzilla you can report bugs for (downstream) OVMF today.

In Red Hat Bugzilla, bugs reported for downstream components that need
upstream fixes first are handled in two three ways:

- Sometimes the community decides to use Red Hat Bugzilla for upstream
tracking. (Example: libvirt.) In this case, RHBZ receives two bugs: one
for upstream, one for downstream. One is usually a clone of the other
(within a single BZ instance, you can clone bugs, and their dependencies
are set up automatically). They are also reported for separate products.

- If the upstream project has an independent tracker, then RHBZ offers
metadata fields for linking the upstream tracker entry. It even has some
ingrained knowledge about specific high-profile upstream trackers
(FreeDesktop.org Bugzilla, GCC Bugzilla, Kernel Bugzilla, and so on.)

- If the upstream project lacks a tracker completely, then the important
upstream mailing list threads are linked as comments in the RHBZ entry
(problem report message, patch submissions, and so on). The hashes of
the commits that fix the issue are also captured in a comment. (If the
upstream project has its own tracker, then the hashes are (should be)
listed there.)

> and its *whole* lifetime can be tracked
> until a fix is released for the specific instance that the user has
> reported it with.
>
> For that, we *are* going to need the thing to live under the auspices
> of the UEFI Forum, and we are going to need to be able to mark things
> as private — using an account system that is *directly* under our
> control.

I don't think I'd be permitted to store data (private comments, for
example) related to product planning in an external tracker. Product
planning and many other managerial workflows can depend on bug metadata
that are specific to a company or a department.

I think a cross-vendor tracker is too much; my vote is an upstream-only
tracker.

> Sure, actually getting vendor buy-in for that is a completely different
> story. But let's not design the system to make it hard :)

I couldn't buy in.

Thanks