On 03/18/16 23:52, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-03-18 at 22:53 +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

>> The extreme lengths that I had to go to were necessary to convince
>> git-send-email not to mess up Michał's CC in the email headers, picking
>> it up from the commit message. The commit message was all right, but the
>> email header got mis-encoded (it's a git bug; it thought the CC line was
>> UTF-8, despite knowing that the full commit message was latin2).
>
> I'd be interested in a reference to the upstream bug report for that
> one.

I didn't report it. First, I expected to be beat down with "just use
UTF-8". Second, I'm using a fairly old git release
(git-1.8.3.1-6.el7.x86_64, on RHEL-7.2), and the most recent git release
might not have the bug.

> It's going to be caused by the use of 'i18n.commitencoding=latin2'.
>
> Hm... did you realise that when you use that setup and you commit and
> push directly, that means you are putting latin2-encoded objects into
> the upstream EDK2 git repository?

Yes, I realized it.

Latin2 text can be cleanly transcoded to UTF-8 (which is how most people
will read it), i.e., from i18n.commitEncoding to i18n.logOutputEncoding.

> I'm surprised that even works without corrupting things for everyone —
> it looks like your commits actually carry an explicit label marking
> them as latin2.

Yes. I had read the discussion in the git-config and git-log manuals,
and saw it was safe.

> So yes, I'm interested in the bug because it should be fixed. But
> basically, you brought it upon yourself by operating in a mode that is
> *known* to invite such errors, and was abandoned by most other people a
> *long* time ago.

(Hm, didn't I just predict exactly this argument above?...)

> And you're pushing that choice into the EDK2 history
> so that others are exposed to the same class of bugs. :(

The facility I'm using is a documented feature of git; git will
transcode Michał's name to UTF-8 for others (or whatever they have in
logOutputEncoding).