Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
Aaron,
Thanks for detailed information to start our investigation   . Will keep update
our findings in this forum.

From: aaron....@congatec.com [mailto:aaron....@congatec.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:16 PM
To: Arunachalam, Senthil <senthilarasu_arun...@dell.com>
Cc: edk2-devel@lists.01.org
Subject: Re: [edk2] Foreign keyboard support in UEFI

Hi Senthil,

Multi language keyboards support should be pretty transparent to an
application. The simple text input protocols are designed to return a unicode
character, and the protocols leave the mapping of keypress into the current
keyboard layout to the system firmware.  Keyboard layouts are installed into
the Hii database, and then a set keyboard layout call is made to tell the
system which keyboard layout to use. Each regional keyboard has a different
layout (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964651.aspx).  The UEFI
specification (section 31.2.4) maps a keyboard into an enumerated value
(EFI_KEY in MdePkg\Include\Uefi\UefiInternalFormRepresentation.h) and that
enumerated value is used as an index into the keyboard layout data to return a
unicode character for a specific keypress.

If you are not getting a valid return character when you press a key on a usb
keyboard, then there is a chance that the UsbKbDxe driver does not consider the
key you pressed as a valid Usb key for the given keyboard layout.  USB
keyboards return a Usage ID for a given key press
(http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage/Hut1_12v2.pdf).  The EDK2 Usb keyboard
driver (MdeModulePkg/Bus/Usb/UsbKbDxe) retrieves the USB usage id and
translates it into an EFI_KEY_DATA entry by using the tables in the top of the
Keyboard.c file (EfiKeyToUsbKeyCodeConvertionTable and mUsbKeyboardLayoutBin).
It is possible that your system does not correctly map the hid usage id to a
valid EFI_KEY enum based on the current keyboard mapping layout.

I hope this gives you enough information to start to figure out your issue.