Request for Comments...

Both UEFI/DXE and SMM support the protocol / handle database concept.  Some
protocol definitions are able used in both environments with different
implementations behind them.

We'd like to create a library that could be used in either DXE or SMM making
use of protocol and handle services.  For example, we'd like to be able to do a
LocateProtocol for a certain protocol and make use of the protocol regardless
of the environment we're executing in.

In order to create a neutral API for protocol and handle services from either
environment, I'm proposing that we create a "ProtocolLib" that abstracts
protocol install, uninstall, HandleProtocol, install notification, LocateHandle
and LocateProtocol implementations - basically all the protocol and handle
services common across UEFI Boot Services and SMST.   A DXE instance of
ProtocolLib would direct functions through the Boot Services table and an SMM
instance of ProtocolLib would go through the SMST.   (We also would like to
maintain separation between DXE and SMM in support of the PI 1.5 Standalone SMM
model which is easy to achieve with separate library instances.)

We have a similar model already with the MemoryAllocationLib so this would
follow in its footsteps.

Please share your thoughts...

Eugene