On 08/07/17 13:58, Brijesh Singh wrote:
> Currently, virtio drivers provides the system physical address to the device.
> However, some systems may feature an IOMMU that requires the drivers to pass
> the device addresses to the device - which are then translated by the IOMMU
> into physical addresses in memory. The patch series introduces new member
> functions in VIRTIO_DEVICE_PROTOCOL which can be used for mapping a system
> physical address to device address.
>
> The approach that this patch series takes is to maps the system physical
> address to device address for buffers (including rings, device specifc
> request and response  pointed by vring descriptor, and any further memory
> reference by those request and response).
>
> Patch 1 - 3:
>  Defines and implements new member functions to map a system physical address
>  to device address. The patch implements Laszlo's suggestion [1].

(1) I guess under [1] you meant the following message:

841bec5f-6f6e-8b1f-25ba-0fd37a915b72@redhat.com">http://mid.mail-archive.com/841bec5f-6f6e-8b1f-25ba-0fd37a915b72@redhat.com

If you want, you can add that link to the commit message of patch #1.

(2) But, that's not my main point here. Before I forget, I'd like to
point out that you missed one of the three virtio protocol
implementations -- see my point (5.4) in the above-referenced message
--, namely:

> - "ArmVirtPkg/VirtioFdtDxe" (via
>   "OvmfPkg/Library/VirtioMmioDeviceLib") binds virtio-mmio devices,
>    and offers virtio 0.9.5 semantics.

So please replicate patch v1 03/14 to
"OvmfPkg/Library/VirtioMmioDeviceLib". Otherwise, the modified virtio
device drivers will crash when they are built for ArmVirtPkg and used
over virtio-mmio transports.

(3) Starting with your v2, please add a reminder to your blurb -- for
Ard and myself -- that before merging this, we should regression-test it
on aarch64.

Thanks!
Laszlo