Hi Leif,

On 10/16/18 04:28, Leif Lindholm wrote:

> Laszlo: a few years ago, you also posted a _really_ useful email about
> the process of being a maintainer, and helpful workflows (like "sort
> emails to review immediately on reception, even if you don't have time
> to review now"). I have since failed to find it in my history (or via
> google). Since you're very organised - do you have it lying around,
> and if so would you be able to re-post it?

I'm sure I still have the email, if I sent it; however, I can't find it
now, because I don't personally remember the *specific* email you refer
to, and so I can't come up with good search terms, for the program that
indexes my mailbox ("recoll").

Anyway, what I generally do is:

- I maintain a set of tagged emails that present work items. This set
(of emails) exists in addition to bugzillas that are assigned to me.

- I process emails in batches. I sync my mailbox, and then turn off
synching, until I have covered everything possible, at that point, that
relate to my mailbox.

- In every new batch in my INBOX, I go over the emails as quickly as
possible, trying to triage emails as I go. If I can take care of an
email immediately, I do. If it needs more work (especially focused
work), then I tag the email, and archive it at once. If the tagged email
is private (not on any list), then I'll let it sit tagged in my personal
archive folder. If the email is also on some list, then I might choose
to tag the email in that folder instead, and archive the personal copy
without tagging it.

- I go over all the new emails in my list folders as well (i.e. emails
that I'm not personally CC'd on). Dependent on list, I dedicate
different amounts of attention.

- Once I'm done triaging / tagging the new batch (and therefore I have
no unread messages in my entire mailbox), I search my mailbox for all
tagged messages. I usually list those hits in chronological order, but
not always (e.g., sometimes I group them by containing folder). I work
my way through these items slowly. Importantly, I shut out interruptions
while I do this -- no more email synching, no phone, no IRC. And the
FIFO processing order of the tagged messages mostly ensures good
responsiveness from my side, despite this process being quite OK at
throughput as well.

(Your present email fell in the "take care of it at once" category :) )