On 11/16/2018 2:14 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote> For people on the move, having bad internet (3rd world countries), email
system is very powerful, you can download once and work offline, reading/answering. You can also download the list archive and refers to it offline. You also have access to all patches and can apply them offline too.

Is this possible with GitHub?

I am going to guess that GitHub assumes a stable internet connection to participate in discussions. I'll double check this. You bring up a good point.

Maybe the open source alternative, GitLab, offers a such feature.

Googling "gitlab offline" I get:

"Many of our customers do not have regular Internet access and many of them, being highly regulated, cannot install local copies of GitLab to be able to run against the provided API. [...] The work, published as the gitlab-ci-yaml_lint gem, is my attempt at a start to solving the issue."

This is not what I expected, but it confirms some people have troubles working with online-only services.

We are currently evaluating Gitlab to improve our code review needs. I will look into Gitlab as a discussion platform as well. Specifically how it interacts with email.

Rebecca Cran also brought up that Phabricator allows discussions to be interacted with via email. A quick search for Phabricator and "Configuring Inbound Email" it seems that one can both receive and send discussion messages if configured properly.

Rebecca, can you confirm this?