Hi Kevin:

I'm not a lawyer and even if I were I couldn't give you legal advice of course.

That said, I believe the intent of the BSD+patent license is well stated in the
note that is included immediately above the actual rendition of terms on this
page here: https://opensource.org/licenses/BSDplusPatent

That note says:

"Note: This license is designed to provide: a) a simple permissive license; b)
that is compatible with the GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2; and c)
which also has an express patent grant included."

I'll re-iterate what I said before in making the original proposal: the intent
is to make sure that the code in the project continues to have permissive terms
for users and that users of the code need not have a concern about any
potential for IP infringement as a result of using any Contributions that are
made part of the project.
--
Cheers,

Mark.