On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 3:41 AM, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/13 18:16, Jordan Justen wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Olivier Martin <olivier.mar...@arm.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, the caller (the VirtIo Block driver) does not
>>> know if the access is unaligned.
>>
>> Did you or Laszlo say that the virtio spec specifically says that all
>> I/O accesses can be broken up into smaller accesses?
>
> In the device-specific offset range, yes. Accesses to the common range
> need strict alignment and size.
>
>> If so, then I
>> think it is fine for the virtio protocol instance to automatically
>> break the access apart. (But, the protocol interface should document
>> this.)
>
> Jordan, could you please explain the problem again?

This protocol interface doesn't seem to follow the conventions of the
other io protocols. In addition, the alignment issue seems unresolved
to me.

I just don't want any code outside of EDK II to pick this interface
up, and become dependent on it.

Changing the width to be enum based, and omitting 64-bit accesses
seems to resolve my immediate concerns.

I would also accept adding a disclaimer comment in the protocol file, such as:
"This protocol is a work in progress, and should not be used outside
of the EDK II tree."
Unfortunately, I think it would be all to easy to miss such a disclaimer.

... Or, if anyone is feeling really peppy, what about trying to figure
out if the protocol makes sense at the UEFI spec level?

-Jordan