On 03/20/14 02:09, Dong, Guo wrote:

> Hi Laszlo,
>
> Thanks for the comments.
> As you know, Variable Write Arch Protocol is an Arch protocol, if the
> variable driver didn't install it and directly return, it might bring
> system hang since some drivers that depend on this Arch protocol
> could not be dispatched. So here we prefer installing this Arch
> protocol to continue boot, even some Variable service might fail.

Ah OK. If the only consequence of proceeding past those checks is that
the variable services will consistently fail and return error codes,
then that's indeed better than hanging mid-dispatch.

I assumed that the failure of VariableWriteServiceInitialize() would
cause corruption / crash farther down the road, when the variable
services tried to use that missing piece of infrastructure "blindly". If
failure of VariableWriteServiceInitialize() only causes controlled
failures in the dependent services code, then that's a relief. Thank you
for explaining.

Laszlo