From: Stephen Polkowski [mailto:step...@centtech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 11:47 PM
To: edk2-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [edk2] adding EDK2 networking to a shipping system board

Hi folks,

     Is it possible to add ethernet networking support to a production
system without a network stack?  The "UEFI Network Stack for EDK Getting
Started Guide.pdf" demonstrates how to add networking to the NT32 environment.
Is this still valid for the EDK2?  Also, could it work on a real system?

     For example, I have an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop PCIe card that has a UEFI
UNDI
driver loaded in its Option Rom.  This option rom is loaded by my ASUS Q87-E
motherboard
during boot.  When I type "drivers" in the uefi 2.0 shell I can see that the
driver is loaded.

15B 06041300 B Y Y 2  2  <null string> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

     Next, I try to load the tcp dxe drivers in a manner similar to the
"Getting Started Guide." The shell hangs after loading SnpDxe.efi driver.  It
doesn't
load any of the other DXEs.

load SnpDxe.efi MnpDxe.efi ArpDxe.efi Ip4Dxe.efi Ip4ConfigDxe.efi
load Udp4Dxe.efi Dhcp4Dxe.efi Mtftp4Dxe.efi Tcp4Dxe.efi

     Does anyone have a guide on how to add any kind of networking device to
an existing system?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

P.S. - I know that I can enable the "Network Stack" on boards with an embedded
ethernet controller.  I want to know how to do it to a system without networking
support.