Usually you'll want to use a USB debug cable in this case.  That's
different from a USB<->serial adapter such as you would use to connect a
USB host to a serial peripheral such as a modem.  It provides a
serial-like connection to the host, using a simple driver implemented in
SourceLevelDebugPkg/Library/DebugCommunicationLibUsb or
SourceLevelDebugPkg/Library/DebugCommunicationLibUsb3.

Usually only one serial port on a platform is available for use as a USB
debug port.  You'll need to consult your board schematic and chipset
documentation to see which one.

I haven't used one myself (my targets have serial ports), but you should
be able to find more info online.
--

                                                Brian J. Johnson

   My statements are my own, are not authorized by SGI, and do not
   necessarily represent SGI’s positions.