On 05/27/2015 11:36 AM, Scott Duplichan wrote:
> The reverse situation of running Microsoft tool chains from Linux is
> impossible
> or impractical. Linux users need to test Microsoft tool chain builds using a
> private or public build server.

Microsoft's tools run well enough under wine, so it's possible to use
the (ancient) DDK3790 compilers on Linux without running Windows or
purchasing Visual Studio.  We do this all the time.  But it takes a lot
of one-time setup, and is kind of clunky.

> build.exe -p D:\edk2build\edk2\OvmfPkg\OvmfPkgX64.dsc -b DEBUG -t DDK3790 -n
> 16 -a X64 -DSECURE_BOOT_ENABLE -DFD_SIZE_2MB
> OvmfPkg\Library\XenHypercallLib\X86XenHypercall.c(38) : warning C4244:
> 'return' : conversion from 'int' to 'BOOLEAN', possible loss of data
> This fail occurs only for DDK3790 and VS2005. Maybe time to retire these
> especially old tool chains.

If that's done, we should add official support for the newer Windows 7
DDK:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11800

See the discussion on the list last September:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.bios.tianocore.devel/9846/focus=9892
--

                                                Brian J. Johnson