> On Jun 2, 2015, at 11:50 AM, Tomaz Fogaça <tom.fog...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm writing this application for UEFI using the UDK and in it I'm trying to
> gather some information from the SMBios table.
>
> I'm trying to reach the System Event Log, and in order to do that I've
> decoded the System Event Log(Type 15) structure and found that, in my
> machine, the field "Access Method" has a value of '4', which, according to
> the SMBios spec, means "Available through General-Purpose NonVolatile Data
> functions."
>
> I have little to no idea of what "General-Purpose NonVolatile Data functions"
> are. I've looked into the Linux kernel source only to find that it explicitly
> does not support such access method, so I cannot use that as a reference.
>
> The only other reference to the term 'gpnv' that I could find was in an old
> SMBios spec, which references something called "Plug and Play functions",
> which I also am not familiar with.
>
> I'd appreciate any help regarding these questions:
> 1 - What are "General-Purpose NonVolatile Data functions”?

They are the old “legacy BIOS” Plug and Play functions that are callable in
real-mode, and 16-bit protected-mode.

> 2 - How do I use them?

You go back in time to 1994:
ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/pnpbiosspecificationv10a.pdf

<ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/pnpbiosspecificationv10a.pdf>
Older versions of the SMBIOS spec talk about the functions, like the one from
1999: http://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/standards/documents/DSP0119.pdf
<http://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/standards/documents/DSP0119.pdf>

> 3 - Is there any UDK api to handle them?

No.

This is likely a bug in the SMBIOS table, as these functions got obsoleted a
while ago.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish