Andrew,

I neglected to add some additional information that makes your suggestion moot.
 This is occurring on a new clone from GIT on an VM system used for automated
builds under the control of a script and the Conf\.cache directory (windows
box) does not exist until the make is executed the first time so there is
nothing to delete on the first attempt to make the build work.

However, in the mean time we have looked at other things and discovered that
the IT department here pushed out some antivirus changes June 1 and it appears
that the AV code is locking up that file as soon as it is created and when the
next step in the build process tries to open it again for write the AV code has
it open for a scan and that is causing the failure.  This started occurring
100% of the time after that update by IT where it was intermittent before that.

To prove this was the root of the problem I disabled the AV and have been able
to run several successful builds without seeing another failure.  So now I need
a way to selectively not scan those files or critical directories, disable the
AV scan from the script for a short period during a build or some other
equivalent fix to make these software packages play together.  And then get IT
to agree to those changes.

Thanks for the quick response.  I think I have all the information I need for
this issue.
R. Bruce Roberts
Systems/Software Engineer
Utility Development Unit / HP Storage