Hello,

How can we progress on the inclusion of my
EFI_SMART_CARD_READER_PROTOCOL proposal in EDK2?

Is the GNU LGPL v2.1+ license really not possible in EDK2 and I should
just forget about integrating my code in EDK2?

The point 5 of Code Contributions [1] says:
"
5. It is preferred that contributions are submitted using the same
   copyright license as the base project. When that is not possible,
   then contributions using the following licenses can be accepted:
   * BSD (2-clause): http://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause
   * BSD (3-clause): http://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause
   * MIT: http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
   * Python-2.0: http://opensource.org/licenses/Python-2.0
   * Zlib: http://opensource.org/licenses/Zlib

   Contributions of code put into the public domain can also be
   accepted.

   Contributions using other licenses might be accepted, but further
   review will be required.
"

It is not clear that GNU LGPL is forbidden.
Do I need to wait that " further review " is made by whoever is in charge?

[1] https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/master/MdeModulePkg/Contributions.txt

>> BSD is a GPL compatible licence.
>> GPL is NOT a BSD compatible licence.
>
> Where is the requirement that all OEMs must only include BSD code in
> their firmware? Why not let Puri.sm or Novena have a downstream UEFI
> firmware volume that is GPL, will the world end or something? Today,
> there is some non-BSD code needed to boot Linux on UEFI. Linux OSVs
> probably don't have the same fear of GPL that closed-source OS vendors
> do. You're free to ignore that code and focus on the license subset you
> prefer.
>
>>> What about a Tiano way to distribute [L]GPL code, safely separate from
>>> main BSD branch, like FAT driver is dealt with, so GPL-friendly
>>> OSVs/ISVs/OEMs -- everyone but Microsoft? :-) -- can safely use GPL
>>> code? Perhaps other non-BSD, OSI-approved FOSS licensed, and no others?
>>>

>> As you point out we solve issues with licensing by splitting git repos
>> and having separate projects. That is probably a separate conversation
>> from what goes in the edk2 project.
>
> I thought the conversation was to deal with this current code
> contribution, not just focus on EDK2 subproject.
>
> What about using TianoCore's EDK2share for non-BSD projects? That code
> isn't bundled into UDK releases. If contributor can relicense to BSD
> great, but if not, dropping code is rude, a non-BSD friendly area
> outside main EDK2 project, somewhere on Tiano, would be better than
> dropping the code, I'd think.

I am not familiar with EDK2share.
Hosting "non-free-enough" source code in a EDK2 side project could
also be a possibility.

My code is available in the SmartCard branch or my edk2 fork at
https://github.com/LudovicRousseau/edk2/tree/SmartCard
But is it not really easy to find and use.

Regards,

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau