> On Jul 8, 2015, at 1:43 PM, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> https://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/trunk/edk2/MdePkg/Include/Library/DebugLib.h
>>
>> <https://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/trunk/edk2/MdePkg/Include/Library/DebugLib.h>
>>
>> #if !defined(MDEPKG_NDEBUG)
>>  #define ASSERT(Expression)        \
>>    do {                            \
>>      if (DebugAssertEnabled ()) {  \
>>        if (!(Expression)) {        \
>>          _ASSERT (Expression);     \
>>        }                           \
>>      }                             \
>>    } while (FALSE)
>> #else
>>  #define ASSERT(Expression)
>> #endif
>>
>> If you are not using the optional MDEPKG_NDEBUG flag then DEBUG and
>> ASSERT macros just become policy for a release build based on PCD.
>
> Ah! That's very useful background info.
>
> Perhaps it's time for dropping MDEPKG_NDEBUG? We have:
>
> [BuildOptions]
>  GCC:*_UNIXGCC_*_CC_FLAGS             = -DMDEPKG_NDEBUG
>  GCC:RELEASE_*_*_CC_FLAGS             = -DMDEPKG_NDEBUG
>  INTEL:RELEASE_*_*_CC_FLAGS           = /D MDEPKG_NDEBUG
>  MSFT:RELEASE_*_*_CC_FLAGS            = /D MDEPKG_NDEBUG
>
> I wonder why MDEPKG_NDEBUG was then added for MSFT in the first place
> (assuming MSVC had always been able to remove dead code),

It might make MSVC catch the same errors as GCC? Not sure about that?

I wonder is some hackery could make MDEPKG_NDEBUG path behave the same way?

#else
  #define ASSERT(Expression)  do {} while (FALSE && (Expression))
#endif

Maybe we could find something that all the compilers dead strip, but behaves
more like the non #if path?

Thanks,

Andrew Fish