hi, all.

Isn't a chi-squre test inherently a 'one-sided sig. test'?

I just read a paper claiming that it uses a 'one-sided' rather than
'two-sided' test. So it regards a chi-square value of 3.3 (df=1) is
significant at the level of 0.05. (As you all know, the critical value
of chi-square (df=1) at the alpha of 0.05  is 3.84.)

I know this claim is simply errorneous. But I am just wondering
whether there can be any occasion one may use 'two-sided' test
with the chi-square distribution.

Any comment will be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

June