Try "Causality: Models, reasoning, and inference" by Judea Pearl. As I
understand it, pearl's approach combines the structural equation modeling
and Bayesian Inference network. And Pearl favors over-identified models.
When there are many ways to fit the data and the model but you found a
unique solution, a causal inference can be made.

The building block is the latent factor model--the causal relationship
between the theoretical construct and the observed items. According to
Borsboom, D., Mellenbergh, G. J., & van Heerden, the logic is like this:
operationalism and the latent construct theory are fundamentally
incompatible. If a latent construct is just for operational convenience,
then there should be a distinct latent factor for every single test
researchers construct. However, since it is assumed that observed items
that are loaded into a factor constitute a single dimension, theoretical
construct are causally responsible for observed phenomena.

Chong Ho (Alex) Yu, Ph.D.