On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 12:16:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J. Williams)
wrote:

> The Census Bureau urged Commerce Secretary Don Evans on Thursday not
> to use adjusted results from the 2000 population count.  Evans must
> now weigh the recommendation from the Census Bureau, and will make the
> decision next week.  If the data were adjusted statistically it  could
> be used to redistribute and remap political district lines. William
> Barron, the Bureau Director, said in a letter to Evans that he agreed
> with a Census Bureau committee recommendation "that unadjusted census
> data be released as the Census Bureau's official redistricting data."
> Some say about 3 million or so people make up a disenfranchising
> undercount.  Others disagree viewing sampling as a method to "invent"
> people who have not actually been counted.  Politically, the stakes
> are high on Evans' final decision.

People may wonder,
"Why did the Census Bureau say this, and why is there little criticism
of them?"

According to the reports of a few weeks ago, the inner-city counts,
etc.,  of this census were quite a bit more accurate than they were 10
years ago.  That means that we couldn't be so sure that adjustment
would make a big improvement, or any improvement.

This frees Republicans of some blame, for this one instance, of
pushing specious technical arguments for short-term GOP gain.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html