On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, dennis roberts wrote in part:

> i know that sometimes power is "defined" as 1 - beta ... but, beta
> could therefore (algebraically and logically) be defined as 1 - power

Only for the conditional definition of power;  I would wish to add the
conditional clause "when the null hypothesis is false".

> so, these are circular in a way

Yes, of course:  in the same sense that a glass may be said to be
one-third full or two-thirds empty.

> that is ... power in many cases is a highly overrated CORRECT decision

Well, no.  Overrated it may be (that lies, I think, in the eye of the
beholder);  but a _decision_ it is definitely not.  Power is the
_probability_ of making a particular decision -- which, of course, like
all decisions, may or may not be correct.
                                                -- Don.
 Donald F. Burrill                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                             (603) 535-2597
 Department of Mathematics, Boston University                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 111 Cummington Street, room 261, Boston, MA 02215       (617) 353-5288
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                      (603) 471-7128