It isn't actually that easy, in the sense that
most data humans make up has a low efficiency with
respect to design criteria -- the determinant of
the cross-product matrix tends to be small. The
simplest way is to use a computer program that
calculates algorithmic designs.

jim clark wrote:

> Hi
>
> I like to use small, artificially generated data sets with
> integer parameters to introduce analyses.  Often, however, I find
> it difficult to avoid undesirable contingencies among the scores
> (e.g., linear dependencies in within-subject designs).  Is there
> an algorithmic way to generate such scores and avoid such
> dependencies?  Here is a small example with 4 scores for each of
> 5 subjects.  The following analysis reveals the undesirable
> linear dependencies.  I'm assuming the dependencies arise from
> the noise vectors that I used to generate the cell scores by
> adding them to the main effect of the factor and the subject
> effects.  Is there a systematic way to create such noise vectors
> to avoid linear dependencies?
<snip>
--
Bob Wheeler --- (Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED])
        ECHIP, Inc.