In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan McLean) writes:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> More importantly, I would say: DON'T DO TESTS.  Instead, try to find
>> models that you would be prepared to use to predict the response
>> in as-yet untried circumstances.
>> --
>
>Hypothesis testing is simply one useful method of identifying 'models
>that you would be prepared to use to predict the response
> in as-yet untried circumstances.'

Yes.  Mea culpa.  Of course I myself do tests (not least informal ones
during model-building), but I became carried away while responding after
a hard day at the office.

I've just given lectures including what I would call two-tailed
chi^2 and F tests, analysing well-known data from Georg Mendel
and from Cyril Burt, and resulting in very small values of the
corresponding test statistics, strongly suggesting fiddled data
[more accurately, strongly suggesting analysing further data sets
to see if the evidence of fiddling/massaging becomes overhelming].

Are some people using "two tailed" to mean something other than
looking for extreme values in both tails of the test statistic?

        -- Ewart Shaw
--
J.E.H.Shaw   [Ewart Shaw]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     TEL: +44 2476 523069
  Department of Statistics,  University of Warwick,  Coventry CV4 7AL,  U.K.