At 12:56 PM 3/25/01 -0500, Karl L. Wuensch wrote:
>Here is how I resolve that problem:  Define the population from the sample,
>rather than vice versa -- that is, my results can be generalized to any
>population for which my sample could be reasonably considered to be a random
>sample.  Maybe we could call this "transcendental sampling" ;-) -- it is
>somewhat like transcendental realism, defining reality from our percetion of
>it, eh?

this sounds like  the method of grounded theory in the qualitative
bailiwick ...
look at data you have and see what you can make of it

that is ... there is no particular PLAN to the investigation ... data
gathering ... or, what you want to do with what you find after the fact

i try to tell students this is  not a very good strategy ...