On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Erik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is the p-value of a t-statistic significant (significant level
> shown by the software is p) in the wrong direction in an one-tailed
> test? Should we modified it to (1-p)? Or it is just p?

Well, first you need to be sure it's reporting  p  and not  2p,  as
Dennis has pointed out.

If you're reporting a result more or less formally, as in a research
report, such a result would usually be presented simply as
        "(t = [value], not significant)"
 (or "n.s." for "not significant").

For whatever purpose, why do you want a p-value?  You may need to rethink
the logic that led you to want a one-sided test in the first place;
particularly so if the result "in the wrong direction" has a useful
meaning, and the meaning is different from the meaning of the null
hypothesis.

To answer the question you asked, and assuming your value "p" is correct,
the p-value of your result FOR THE ONE-SIDED TEST is (1-p).

Which may, or may not, have a useful meaning.

 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-472-3742