In article <UX1z6.655$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Andrew L. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am trying to learn what a t-test will actually tell me, in simple terms.
>Dennis Roberts and Paige Miller, have helped alot, but i still dont quite
>understand the significance.

>Andy L

The t-test will tell you the probability that, IF the EXACT
null hypothesis is true, and the observations are exactly
normal and whatever variance assumptions are made hold, a
larger difference from 0 for the t-value would occur by
chance.  It tells you nothing less and nothing more.

The answers are approximately correct without normality.

It does not tell you the probability that the hypothesis is
true, nor does it tell you the magnitude of the effect, or
what action should be taken.  Your evaluation of the
consequences and your prior assumptions are needed for this.
--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558