Well, you sure started a large brush fire!

Quick comments:

1)    if the objective is to learn how to function in a group, then giving all the same grade for the work is a good way to empahsize the interdependent nature of a group project.

2)    Yes, some compalin that they did all the work.  They usually know this will happen, going in.  What about the group dynamics that the rest of the class learns (if they are in a cohort) not to lean on one individual.  What are the chances that this pattern will repeat when they get into the 'real world'?

3)    In 11 years of small group proejcts in classes, I had to intervene due to non-functional behavior only 1 time.  I had to endure about 5X as many complaints.

4)    Academia, the traditional approach, tensdds to be solatoary effort.  Business in USA today tends to be group oriented, with individuals doing their thing as contributions to the team.  Many of my students were elated to find that their intervewiers would ask them about group projects, and they could answer, "yes, I can do that.  I already have."

5)    Dennis is right.  1 problem in 20 years is remarkable.  Did you change your presenrtation in some manner?  After all 1/20 is 0.05.  Maybe we could stretch this into a SL of 0.05, and declare something had changed!

EAKIN MARK E wrote:

I have been assigning group projects for about 20 years and have lucky
enough (until this semester) to have few students complaints about their
fellow groups members. This semester I have many, many problems with
groups complaining about members not carrying their fair share.

Up to now while I occasionally ask the students to grade themselves and
others in their groups, I have never formally written a group
participation scoring protocol on my syllabus. Therefore I have started
wondering about the best way of grading group member participation. I
asked several professors how they graded member  participation and each
had a slightly different way of doing it. I was wondering how other
faculty graded this participation.

By the way, I have found a site called "Student Survival Guide to Managing
Group Projects" that looks intriquing but I haven't had time to
investigate it in detail. If you are interested, see

www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sludi/SEmanual/TableofContents.html

Mark Eakin
Associate Professor
Information Systems and Management Sciences Department
University of Texas at Arlington
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jay Warner
Principal Scientist
Warner Consulting, Inc.
4444 North Green Bay Road
Racine, WI 53404-1216
USA

Ph: (262) 634-9100
FAX: (262) 681-1133
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://www.a2q.com

The A2Q Method (tm) -- What do you want to improve today?
  ================================================================= Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/ =================================================================