List Members:

I teach statistics and experimental design at the University of Kentucky,
and I give  journal articles to my students occasionally with instructions
to identify what kind of research was conducted, what the independent and
dependent variables were, etc.  For my advanced class, I ask them to
identify anything that the researcher did incorrectly.

As an example, there was an article in a recent issue of an APA journal
where the researchers randomly assigned participants to one of six
conditions in a 2x3 factorial design.  The N wouldn't allow equal cell
sizes, and the reported df exceeded N.  Yet the article said the
researchers ran a two-way fixed-effects ANOVA.

One of my students wrote on her homework, "It is especially hard to know
when you are doing something wrong when journals allow bad examples of
research to be published on a regular basis."

I'd like to hear what other list members think about this problem and
whether there are solutions that would not alienate journal editors.  (As a
relative new assistant professor, I can't do that or I'll never get
published, I'll be denied tenure, and I'll have to go out on the street
corners with a sign that says, "Will Analyze Data For Food.")

Cheers.
Lise
~~~
Lise DeShea, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Educational and Counseling Psychology Department
University of Kentucky
245 Dickey Hall
Lexington KY 40506
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]