Hi

On 3 May 2001, Warren Sarle wrote:
> Joel Best is a professor of sociology and criminal
> justice at the University of Delaware. This essay is
> excerpted from _Damned Lies and Statistics:
> Untangling Numbers From the Media, Politicians, and
> Activists_, just published by the University of
> California Press
> So the prospectus began with this (carefully footnoted)
> quotation: "Every year since 1950, the number of American
> children gunned down has doubled." I had been invited to
> serve on the student's dissertation committee. When I read
> the quotation, I assumed the student had made an error in
> copying it. I went to the library and looked up the article
> the student had cited. There, in the journal's 1995 volume,
> was exactly the same sentence: "Every year since 1950, the
> number of American children gunned down has doubled."
> This quotation is my nomination for a dubious distinction: I think it may be
> the worst -- that is, the most inaccurate -- social statistic ever.
> Full text:
> http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i34/34b00701.htm

Here is the progression, culminating in 35 trillion children
being gunned down in 1995, far beyond the population of the world
since its inception, as Best points out in the original
article.  In the article he describes tracking down the original
basis for the statistic.  At some point, doubling _since_ 1950
got translated into doubling every year since 1950.

Year    # Children Gunned Down
1950                   1
1951                   2
1952                   4
1953                   8
1954                  16
1955                  32
1956                  64
1957                 128
1958                 256
1959                 512
1960               1,024
1961               2,048
1962               4,096
1963               8,192
1964              16,384
1965              32,768
1966              65,536
1967             131,072
1968             262,144
1969             524,288
1970           1,048,576
1971           2,097,152
1972           4,194,304
1973           8,388,608
1974          16,777,216
1975          33,554,432
1976          67,108,864
1977         134,217,728
1978         268,435,456
1979         536,870,912
1980       1,073,741,824
1981       2,147,483,648
1982       4,294,967,296
1983       8,589,934,592
1984      17,179,869,184
1985      34,359,738,368
1986      68,719,476,736
1987     137,438,953,472
1988     274,877,906,944
1989     549,755,813,888
1990   1,099,511,627,776
1991   2,199,023,255,552
1992   4,398,046,511,104
1993   8,796,093,022,208
1994  17,592,186,044,416
1995  35,184,372,088,832

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark