Your help with circulating this announcement locally would be very much
appreciated. We apologise if you receive multiple copies of this
message.

If you haven't received this mail through some electronic mailing list,
this means that you have expressed some interest in the previous ISIPTA
symposium, or that we received your address from one of our colleagues
who thought this message might be of interest to you.

If you do not want to receive further information about ISIPTA '01,
please send a short message saying so to [EMAIL PROTECTED] If you have
sent us such a message before, and keep receiving our mails, it's
possible that you are a member of a mailing list to which our message is
cross-posted.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ISIPTA '01

THE SECOND INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON
IMPRECISE PROBABILITIES AND THEIR APPLICATIONS

Cornell University
Ithaca, NY, USA
26 - 29 June 2001

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Second International Symposium on Imprecise Probabilities and Their
Applications (ISIPTA '01), will be held at the Robert Purcell Community
Center of Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA, from 26 till 29 June
2001.

Symposium web site
------------------
All information relating to the symposium is published on the symposium
web site: http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01

The papers
----------
A total of 47 papers will be presented at ISIPTA '01, on a wide range of
topics, and in various fields of scientific endeavour: algorithms for
computing inferences, ambiguity aversion and Ellsberg's paradox, belief
change, civil engineering, classification and pattern recognition,
coherence, combination of uncertainties, conditioning, credal networks,
decision-making, economic and financial models, elicitation of models,
foundations of probability, hierarchical models, independence and
irrelevance, mathematical models for uncertainty, probabilistic logic,
reliability, statistical inference, and summary measures of uncertainty.

All the papers published in these proceedings have gone through a
careful reviewing and selection process. Our aim throughout has been to
produce a symposium and proceedings meeting the highest standards.

A list of accepted papers can be found at
http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01/accepted.html.

Electronic proceedings can be consulted at
http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01/proceedings/index.html

The sessions
------------
In order to promote discussion and interaction between participants,
ISIPTA '01 offers what we believe to be a novel conference format. The
47 accepted papers are each provided with a morning poster session, as
well as a 20 minute plenary discussion later that same day where (i)
authors have the opportunity to give a brief overview of their research
interests and an explanation of how the conference paper fits into that
research agenda; and (ii) participants and authors can engage in public
discussion about the issues addressed in the paper. There will be no
invited speakers and no parallel sessions.

Detailed program information can be found at
http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01/program.html

What is imprecise probability?
------------------------------
Imprecise probability is a generic term for the many mathematical models
which measure chance or uncertainty without sharp numerical
probabilities. These models include belief functions, Choquet
capacities, comparative probability orderings, convex sets of
probability measures, fuzzy measures, interval-valued probabilities,
possibility measures, plausibility measures, and upper and lower
expectations or previsions. Such models are needed in inference problems
where the relevant information is scarce, vague or conflicting, and in
decision problems where preferences may also be incomplete.

See the IPP web site <http://ippserv.rug.ac.be> for introductory
articles about imprecise probabilities, an extensive bibliography, and a
collection of survey articles on special types of imprecise probability
models.

Symposium language
------------------
The working language of the symposium will be English. No simultaneous
translation in other languages will be available.

Registration
------------

Detailed registration information can be found at
http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01/register.html

Accommodation
-------------

We have made reservations for a limited number of Townhouse Apartments
close to the conference facilities. As soon as we run out of these,
you'll have to look for proper accommodation (further away from where
the conference will be held). So, if you intend to attend the
conference, it is in your own interest to register as soon as possible,
and make reservations for accommodation.

See our accommodation page for more information:
http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01/accommodation.html

Important dates
----------------

Early registration deadline     31 May 2001
Symposium:                      26 - 29 June 2001

Questions
---------
If you have any questions about the symposium, please contact the
Organising Committee, at the following address:

Terrence Fine
Director
Center for Applied Mathematics
Rhodes Hall 612