Do you want a pooled standard deviation or a total standard devation? One
ignores mean differences, the other does not.

At 01:01 PM 5/17/01 +0200, Nasser Hosseini wrote:
>Hi everybody!
>
>I wonder, if anybody out there knows, how to calculate the "mean" Standard
>deviation, if you have a number of Mean and Standard deviation based on
>DIFFERENT number of measurment:
>
>Subject 1: N1 (no. of measurment), M1 (mean), S1 (Standard deviation)
>Subject 2: N2                                 , M2           , S2
>Subject m: Nm                                 , M2           , Sm
>
>i.e.         Stotal = F(S1,S2,...,Sm; N1,N2,...,Nm)???
>
>Thanks
>
>/Nasser Hosseini

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                  http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

Paul R. Swank, PhD.
Professor
UT-Houston School of Nursing
Center for Nursing Research
Phone (713)500-2031
Fax (713) 500-2033
soon to be moving to the Department of Pediatrics
UT Houston School of Medicine