Hello,

I am a general surgeon in a state hospital, Ankara, Turkey.

I performed a study on " different enteral nutrients and bacterial
translocation in experimental obstructive jaundice."

There was 5 groups of rats. Each group consists of 20 rats. Occurred
Translocation incidences in mesenteric lymph nodes were shown in
following table. My aim was to compare groups 2, 3, 4 with
control(group 1)

                                    Transloc.yes  Transloc.no total
Group 1 sham ligation of bile duct        1          19        20
   (fed rat chow)

Group 2 bile duct ligated                 9*         11        20
     (fed rat chow)

Group 3 bile duct ligated                 8**        12        20
(fed enteral diet)

Group 4 bile duct ligated                 1          19        20
(fed enteral diet 2)

Group 5 bile duct ligated                 1          19        20
(fed enteral diet 3)

                                                       *p=0.008
          **p=0.02

By chi squared test I calculated this p values.

The reviewer commented that I should do bonferroni correction, find
adjusted p value and according to this adjusted value, I should say
significant or not. However, in no study have I read that the authors
had written that they had adjusted bonferroni correction, especially
in a comparision by chi square test.
If bonferroni was performed then adjusted p value would be
0.05/10=0.005,
10= nx(n-1) in our study. Thus our results would not be significant.
Is it appropriate to make bonferroni correction or simes correction in
this situation?
Indeed I want to compare groups 2, 3, 4 with group 1. So there would
be 4
comparison.Is simes procedure is correct? How can I make Simes
correction?

Can you help me ? Thank you

Bekir Kuru

[EMAIL PROTECTED]