Matti Overmark wrote:

> I have fitted a 3 rd degree curve to a sample (least square method), and
> I want to compare this particular R2 with that of
> a (similarily) fitted 2 degree polynom.

I can assure you that the 3rd degree polynomial will fit as well or
better than the 2nd degree polynomial, as measured by R-squared. If you
want a statistical test to test the hypothesis that the 3rd degree model
yields a significantly better fit compared to the second degree model,
then you should do an "extra-sums-of-squares" test, as explained in the
fine textbook by Draper and Smith "Applied Regression Analysis".

> I want to "see" which of the two models is the best.
> Any suggestion of a good book?

A plot would work just fine, if you want to "see" how the models fit.

--
Paige Miller
Eastman Kodak Company

"It's nothing until I call it!" -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
"When you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
   I hope you dance" -- Lee Ann Womack