On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:05:52 GMT, "W. D. Allen Sr."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's been years since I was in school so I do not remember if I have the
> following statement correct.
>
>     Pascal said that if we know absolutely nothing
>     about the probability of occurrence of an event
>     then our best estimate for the probability of
>     occurrence of that event is one half.
>
> Do I have it correctly? Any guidance on a source reference would be greatly
> appreciated!

I did a little bit of Web searching and could not find that.

Here is an essay about Bayes, which (dis)credits him and his
contemporaries as assuming something like that, years before Laplace.

I found it with a google search on
 <"know absolutely nothing"  probability> .

 http://web.onetel.net.uk/~wstanners/bayes.htm

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html