On 28 Jun 2001 20:39:18 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark W. Humphries)
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have references to a simple/intuitive introduction to Maximum
> Log Likelihood methods.
> References to algorithms would also be appreciated.

Look on the Internet.

I used www.google.com to search on
"maximum likelihood" tutorial
(put the phrase in quotes to keep it together;
or you can use Advanced search)

There were MANY hits, and the second reference
was in a tutorial that begins at
http://statgen.iop.kcl.ac.uk/bgim/mle/sslike_2.html

The third reference was for some programs and examples in Gauss
(a programming language) by Gary King at Harvard, in his application
area.  If these aren't worthwhile (I did not try to download
anything),  there are plenty of other sites to check.

[ I am intrigued by G. King, a little.  This is the fellow who
putatively has a method, not Heckman's, for overcoming or
compensating for aggregation bias.  Which I never found available
for free.  But, too bad, the page says these programs go with
his 1989 book, and I think his Method is more recent.]

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html