On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Rich Ulrich wrote in part:

> This is consistent with what Donald says, about the appearance of cell
> means being disordinal once you have subtracted out the main effects
> (so, why would you want to do that?).

Most of the time, I wouldn't.  Displays of the cell means, with main
effects and interactions all present and accounted for, are often much
more evocative of useful interpretation, in my experience.
        But the idea of "interaction" was defined, when the world was
young and I was learning some statistics, as the systematic differences
among cells that remained after you'd removed the main effects;  and in
part I was merely pointing out that what most people actually plot is not
that, but the several cell means whose interpretation is at issue...

 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128