A relevant article on biases in our judgments of what we learn is the
following:

Bjork, Robert A.(1995).  Memory and metamemory considerations in the
training of human beings.  In J. M. A. P. Shimamura (Ed.), Metacognition:
Knowing about knowing  (pp. 185-205).  Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT
Press.

Bjork has done several studies that show student ratings of how much they
learned to be quite in error, especially with respect to knowledge retained
after several weeks or more.  Students feel they have learned more when the
presentation is simple and easy to understand, and they feel they have
learned less when they must struggle more with the material.  (I'm sure that
some types of confusion are more productive than others!)

Cheers,

Dale Berger
Professor and Chair, Psychology
Claremont Graduate University