My initial thought was that teaching statistical methods by rules was a
bad idea, but after reading some of the posts I realize that it wasn't
rules per se that have bugged me in the past, but rules that are either
not very good or rules that make it appear that correct application of
statistical methods can be achieved by following a tree diagram.

I think that students need to move from the concrete to the abstract as
their knowlege and skill base improves.  Rules provide a concrete place
for them to start from.  The important thing is that the rules provided
are sensible and that students are encouraged to understand that the rules
are often guidelines not absolutes.

M. Granaas

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, EAKIN MARK E wrote:

> I just received a review which stated that statistics should not be taught
> by the use of rules. For example a rule might  be: "if you wish to infer
> about the central tendency of a non-normal but continuous population using
> a small random sample, then use nonparametrics methods."
>
> I see why rules might not be appropriate in mathematical statistics
> classes where everything is developed by theory and proof. However I teach
> statistical methods classes to business students.
>
> It is my belief that if faculty do not give rules in methods classes, then
> students will infer the rules from the presentation. These
> student-developed rules may or may not be valid.
>
> I would be intested in reading what other faculty say about
> rule-based teaching depending on whether you teach theory or methods
> classes.
>
> Mark Eakin
> Associate Professor
> Information Systems and Management Sciences Department
> University of Texas at Arlington
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Michael M. Granaas
Associate Professor                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology
University of South Dakota             Phone: (605) 677-5295
Vermillion, SD  57069                  FAX:   (605) 677-6604
All views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily
reflect those of the University of South Dakota, or the South
Dakota Board of Regents.