----- Forwarded message from Olsen, Chris -----

  It would seem to me that more than this most can be said.  If my reading
of the central limit theorem is up to snuff, I should be able to use the "Z
test with s" without an underlying assumption of the normality of the parent
population, required for the t.  I am not etching n = 30 in stone, here --
but there is _some_ large n that will make the underlying sampling
distribution of the mean sufficiently close to normal to justify the "Z with
s."

----- End of forwarded message from Olsen, Chris -----

(x-bar minus hyp.x-bar)/sigma approaches a normal distribution but
(x-bar minus hyp.x-bar)/s approaches t if x is normal.  If x is not
normal, it is true that  (x-bar minus hyp.x-bar)/s eventually
approaches a normal distribution, too, but so does t.  This leaves it
an open question whether the mystery distribution is betwen the t
approaching z or t'other side of t from z yet still approaching z.

1/x, 2/x and 3/x all aproach 0 for large n.  The fact that 3/x
approaches 1/x does not mean it ever gets closer than 2/x does.

      _
     | |          Robert W. Hayden
     | |          Department of Mathematics
    /  |          Plymouth State College MSC#29
   |   |          Plymouth, New Hampshire 03264  USA
   | * |          Rural Route 1, Box 10
  /    |          Ashland, NH 03217-9702
 |     )          (603) 968-9914 (home)
 L_____/          [EMAIL PROTECTED]